Frequently Asked Questions

So you are thinking about signing up to take part in one of our adventures. Here’s some information to answer some of the common frequently asked questions.

What should I expect?

Ultra Adventures offer you the chance to do something amazing whilst raising money for charity. It will be tough and it will be challenging, but it will be worth it. You will see incredible parts of the world and will meet some truly inspiring people. As a group, you will support each other and work as a team to push each other.

What is expected of me?

To take on an Ultra Adventures challenge, you are expected to raise a minimum amount for your charity, 80% of this must be raised 12 weeks before your trip.

Amounts required to be raised for charity:

  • Kilimanjaro – £6,000
  • Machu Picchu – £5,500

We will provide you with support and guidance to ensure that you raise as much as possible. We will provide you with a pack where you will find a sponsor form, fundraising hints and tips, a sweepstake poster along with a poster to put up at work or in a local shop to help with your fundraising.

We expect you to join the Facebook group created for your trip which is where you can meet the other participants and find out more information about the build up to setting off.

Do I need to be fit?

Our treks will be challenging and you will be walking for several days, they require a basic level of fitness but do not require any climbing experience. We have professional guides to help you every step on the way and we provide you with lots of information to help to prepare you for the trek.

What are the costs involved?

To secure your place on an Ultra Adventures trek you must pay a non-refundable £250 registration fee and there are NO future fees to pay. In return you are expected to raise a minimum amount in sponsorship for your charity.

  • Kilimanjaro – £6,000
  • Machu Picchu – £5,500

You are responsible to pay for your personal equipment, tips, overseas airport taxes*, government imposed fees* and the costs of visas*, vaccinations*, additional food & drink, personal spending money, transport to and from the airport of departure in the UK, and any other activities not included in the itinerary. (*If applicable).

What is included in my trip?

We aim to make your adventure as comfortable and straight forward as possible, that’s why we include the essentials that are needed for this adventure:

  • Flights – International flights are included, it is your responsibility to arrange transport to and from the departure airport in the UK.
  • Transfers – when you arrive transfers are arranged to and from the airport and hotels.
  • Accommodation – pre and post-trek.
  • Professional guides, cooks and porters.

How much do I need to raise for Charity?

You are responsible for raising a minimum amount for your charity, 80% of which must be raised, alongside pledges for the remaining 20% 12 weeks prior to the adventure departure date. Any fundraising shortfall will be covered by you. In cases where the shortfall cannot be covered by you your trip will be cancelled and neither the registration fee nor the money raised for your charity will be refunded.

  • Kilimanjaro – £6,000
  • Machu Picchu – £5,500

If you hit the fundraising goals necessary then your chosen charity will cover the cost of your adventure. The charity benefits from keeping the remaining funds that have been raised.

Can I raise money for other charities?

You can currently pick from Accord Hospice, Cancer Research UK and Make-A-Wish. 

You will be given a direct JustGiving link to create your fundraising page. Using this link will ensure your page is linked to our event and that the charities can help you with your fundraising.

What if I can’t raise the minimum sponsorship?

If you are unable to raise the minimum for your chosen charity, you can self-fund the remaining amount. 80% of this must be raised 12 weeks prior to the adventure with a pledge to raise the remaining 20%. In cases where the shortfall cannot be covered by you your trip will be cancelled and neither the registration fee nor the money raised will be refunded.

I’ve signed up, what do I do next?

Now that you have signed up, you can start your own training. We recommend walking as much as possible and walking whilst carrying a backpack is a great way to prepare.

When you secured your place, you also created an account in the process. You now need to fill in all of your personal details, passport information and medical history. We have made this super easy and each person in your party should do the following:

  1. Login to your account here.
  2. Go to ‘your details‘.
  3. Complete this entire form. You can save your progress and edit your details up to a cutoff before your trip date.

Please ensure all people from your party complete this form and use the order id from the lead passenger booking. They can create their own account here.

Do I need Travel Insurance?

Yes, you are required to send us a copy of your travel insurance policy prior to departure. The cost of this is covered by you.

It is essential that you take out your own travel insurance policy for the trek, this must cover you at a high altitude of over 3,000ft. We would recommend the “Extreme Adventure Pack” from True Traveller which covers you above 4,500 feet, please visit